I’m currently teaching private martial arts lessons at my home in Metamora to teens.
Teenagers can realize a number of benefits from martial arts:
- Stay active in between other sports’ seasons
- Improve focus and concentration
- Set goals
- Develop coordination, agility, flexibility, balance, and strength
- Learn self-awareness and self-defense
- Develop a lifelong fitness habit
What Can You Expect If You Join Metamora Martial Arts?
I’m excited to be able to help your teenager learn life skills such as courage, respect, confidence, focus, physical fitness—and more!—through martial arts.
In addition to regular class, I’ll provide opportunities to learn outside of class through seminars, home workouts, and competitions.
Class Times & Location
Martial arts class is held weekly in person on most Thursday evenings from 6:15-7:15 p.m. at Sensei Adam’s home in Metamora. Please be punctual.
Everyone present must be vaccinated from COVID-19.
If class must be canceled (due to weather, school activity, instructor illness), I will coordinate in advance. Please keep your child home if he or she is sick.
Class fees are $100 per month per student.
Payment is due before the first class of the month and can be made through:
- Check (please make payable to Metamora Martial Arts)
Refunds will only be issued in special cases.
Please ask about family or referral discounts!
About Sensei Adam Bockler
I’ve practiced and taught martial arts since 2003.
I began learning Okinawan Shuri-ryu karate as a high school freshman under Sensei Joe Chianakas. Mr. Chianakas promoted me to 1st-degree black belt in 2006 and 2nd-degree black belt in 2009.
After founding Metamora Martial Arts in 2002, Mr. Chianakas passed the program to me in 2012.
I also trained for several years under Sensei Dave Hawkey. Mr. Hawkey studied for many years and was a standout student of the Navy veteran who brought karate to America from Asia in the 1940s, Master Robert Trias.
Tai Chi Chuan & Hsing-i Chuan
In 2010, I began training with Si Tai Gung Steve Aldus in the Chinese martial arts of tai chi chuan, Hsing-i chuan, and baguazhang.
Mr. Aldus certified me as a black belt and assistant instructor (sifu) in those styles in 2019.
Accolades & Resume
Through all my martial arts experience, my teachers and lineage can be traced back to 1602.
Regarding the sport aspect of martial arts, I’ve competed in and won forms and sparring tournaments throughout Illinois and Iowa.
I’ve been inducted into the USA Martial Arts Hall of Fame 3 times:
- Karate Black Belt of the Year (2014)
- Leading Seminar Instructor of the Year (2015)
- Leading Martial Arts Instructor of the Year (2016)
I’ve also participated in seminars with world-renowned instructors including:
- Former UFC champion Dan “The Beast” Severn
- Bill “Superfoot” Wallace
- Iain Abernethy
My additional credentials include:
- Certified personal trainer and fitness nutrition specialist — American Council on Exercise (ACE)
- Level 1 instructor — DDP Yoga (DDPY)
- CPR / AED / First Aid — American Red Cross