I’m teaching martial arts lessons at the Metamora Parks & Recreation office every Tuesday evening!
The karate class I offer is primarily geared toward teens.
Teenagers can realize a number of benefits from martial arts:
- Stay active in between other sports’ seasons
- Improve focus and concentration
- Set goals
- Develop coordination, agility, flexibility, balance, and strength
- Learn self-awareness and self-defense
- Develop a lifelong fitness habit
When Do Karate Classes Start?
Karate classes in Metamora open enrollment once again in September.
To find out more, such as when the next class opens, sign up to join the waitlist!
How Much Do Karate Classes Cost?
Classes start at $130 and go for 4 months.
Learn more about pricing here!
What Can You Expect If You Join Metamora Martial Arts?
I’m excited to be able to help your teenager learn life skills such as courage, respect, confidence, focus, physical fitness—and more!—through martial arts.
In addition to regular class, I’ll provide opportunities to learn outside of class through seminars, home workouts, and competitions.
Class Times & Location
Martial arts class is held weekly in person on Tuesday evenings 6:00-6:50 p.m. at the Metamora Park District office on the square. Please be punctual.
If class must be canceled (due to weather, school activity, or instructor illness), I will coordinate in advance. Please keep your child home if he or she is sick.
About Sensei Adam Bockler
I’ve practiced and taught martial arts since 2003.
I began learning Okinawan Shuri-ryu karate as a high school freshman under Sensei Joe Chianakas. Mr. Chianakas promoted me to 1st-degree black belt in 2006 and 2nd-degree black belt in 2009.
After founding Metamora Martial Arts in 2002, Mr. Chianakas passed the program to me in 2012.
I also trained for several years under Sensei Dave Hawkey. Mr. Hawkey studied for many years and was a standout student under the Navy veteran who brought karate to America from Asia in the 1940s, Master Robert Trias.
Tai Chi Chuan & Hsing-i Chuan
In 2010, I began training with Si Tai Gung Steve Aldus in the Chinese martial arts of tai chi chuan, Hsing-i chuan, and baguazhang.
Mr. Aldus certified me as a black belt and assistant instructor (sifu) in those styles in 2019.
Accolades & Resume
Through all my martial arts experience, my teachers and lineage can be traced back to 1602.
Regarding the sport aspect of martial arts, I’ve competed in and won forms and sparring tournaments throughout Illinois and Iowa.
I’ve been inducted into the USA Martial Arts Hall of Fame 3 times:
- Karate Black Belt of the Year (2014)
- Leading Seminar Instructor of the Year (2015)
- Leading Martial Arts Instructor of the Year (2016)
I’ve also participated in seminars with world-renowned instructors including:
- Former UFC champion Dan “The Beast” Severn
- Bill “Superfoot” Wallace
- Iain Abernethy
- Mike Chat
- And many more talented instructors!
My additional credentials include:
- MMA Conditioning Specialist — National Academy of Sports Medicine
- Certified personal trainer and fitness nutrition specialist — American Council on Exercise (ACE)
- Level 1 instructor — DDP Yoga (DDPY)
- CPR / AED / First Aid — American Red Cross
Like Metamora Martial Arts on Facebook!